Date & Time
- Sunday, March 31, 2019
Course Completion Time
ENCINITAS HALF MARATHON TIME LIMIT. The overall on-course time limit is 3 hours and 15 minutes. The course will have a rolling re-opening that will be strictly enforced by city and police personnel and course directional signage, mile markers, police services, portable restrooms, water stations may be removed from the course.
- Participants that do not reach the north turnaround (Avocado/Mile 2) by 8:20 am will be moved onto the sidewalk, and become a normal pedestrian obeying traffic laws.
- Participants that do not reach the Mile 8 marker (entering Solana Beach) by 9:45 will be turned around and not be allowed to continue; there is limited sidewalk, so there isn’t a safe pedestrian option.
- SAG vehicles are available to transport you back to the finish line if you feel as though you cannot finish the race. You can request a SAG vehicle at a water station. You will still receive your medal if you do not finish.
- 7+ miles of oceanfront running along Hwy 101
- Minimum pace of 14:53 minutes per mile
- Oceanfront Start/Finish Line
- Capped at 5,500 runners for an enjoyable course for all
- Strollers, Running Chairs, & Racing Chairs are welcome!
- No pets, bikes, or skates.
- Ipods OK! Just keep volume low enough to hear people
- Plenty of free parking near Start/Finish Line
- 5K Information coming soon!
Half Marathon Price
- $74 until May 15th
- $79 until July 1st
- $84 until Sept 1st
- $89 until Nov 1st
- $94 until Jan 1st
- $99 until Feb 1st
- $115 until March 1st
- $125 until sold out
COURSE MAP & DESCRIPTION
- Click Here for map, elevation chart & description
INCLUDED IN YOUR ENTRY FEE
- Super soft men & women’s Tech Tee
- Huge Finisher’s Medal
- Personalized Bib number (must register by February 15th)
- Post Race Breakfast
- Hot Chocolate with a SOUVENIR RACE MUG!
- FREE Beer or Boochcraft at the After Party on Hwy 101
- Coastal course with the MOST oceanfront miles of all the running races in San Diego
- Support Stations and Entertainment all along the course
- Gear Check & Pacing Groups
- AWESOME Swag Bag
- Professionally timed with $10,200 in PRIZE MONEY
- 100% of the net proceeds will benefit local Ocean Conservation projects
FREE post-race BREAKFAST
At the finish line, you’ll be treated with an assortment of goodies!
- An organic muffin from Ki’s Restaurant
- TruMoo Chocolate Milk
- Bananas from Jimbo’s Naturally
- Boxed Water
- Mexican Hot Chocolate in a Souvenir Race Mug
- Barney Butter (almond butter)
Other tasty samples will be available from Larabar, RX Bar, and more…
EXPO – BIB PICK UP
- Location: TBA
- Friday, March 29 from 12pm to 6pm
- Saturday, March 30 from 10am to 6pm
- $15 fee to pick up on race morning – NO EXCEPTIONS. Cash or Card
The overall on-course time limit is 3 hours and 15 minutes. The course will have a rolling re-opening that will be strictly enforced by city and police personnel and course directional signage, mile markers, police services, portable restrooms, water stations may be removed from the course. Special note: participants that do not reach the north turnaround (Avocado/Mile 2) by 8:20 am will be moved onto the sidewalk, and become a normal pedestrian obeying traffic laws. SAG vehicles are available to transport you back to the finish line if you feel as though you cannot finish the race. You can request a SAG vehicle at a water station. You will still receive your medal if you do not finish.
100% of the net proceeds are used to benefit Surfing Madonna Oceans Projects programs, such as the Surf Camp for Kids with special needs, Swim/Surf program for disabled veterans, Floating Beach Wheelchairs, Free Ocean Conservation Summer Camp for kids grades 4-8, beach clean ups and more… Please visit: www.surfingmadonna.org for the list of programs.
Completion times will be based on chip time.
The top 5 overall male and female half marathon finishers will receive a special award along with a prize money check, which will be mailed 4-6 weeks following the event.
The top male and female finisher in the Master’s Division will receive a prize money check, which will be mailed 4-6 weeks following the event.
Awards will be offered to the first 3 finishers, male and female, in the following age groups:
13-17, 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+
The Challenger Series is comprised of completing both the 2018 Surfing Madonna 15K on Sunday, October 7 and the 2019 Encinitas Half Marathon. By completing both events, you’ll receive a custom commemorative Challenger Series Finisher’s Medal! **Please note, you must register for the Challenger Series Division to receive the medal!** If you need to upgrade to this division, please contact [email protected]
We offer participants, who cannot attend on race day, to compete in the Virtual Division. This means you can run the half marathon at any place and any time of your choice. This division is not timed and there is no prize money awarded. Virtual Runners will receive their Finisher’s Medal and Tech Shirt in the mail. Virtual Runners will be listed on the website with their completion times (based on GPS photo). If you are a virtual runner, you are NOT eligible to run in the actual half marathon on March 31th!
We use a multi-wave start and your bib number will have your wave number on it. Everyone, regardless of his/her indicated wave number, must be at the race start line when the gun goes off at 7:30am. Speed walkers and participants with strollers must start in the back of the last wave to avoid course congestion.
There is a 3 hour and 15 minute time limit (based on chip time) for finishing this event. All participants must be able to maintain a 14:53-min/mile pace or faster throughout the event. There will be pacers on the course to make sure everyone completes the course at their chosen time.
Complimentary pace groups will be provided by Beast Pacing. Pace group leaders run a steady pace throughout the entire race, so participants are able to finish the half marathon in their desired time. Pace groups with the following target times will be offered: 1:30, 1:40, 1:50, 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45, 3:00, 3:15.
Fully staffed and equipped hydration stations with ULTIMA REPLENISHER ELECTROLYTE DRINK and porta potties will be positioned along the course at miles: 1.2, 3.3, 4.5, 5.7, 7.4, 8.7, 10 and 11.8. There will be electrolyte drinks offered at every aid station along with water as well as at the Finish Line!
The race starts and finishes at the Moonlight Beach parking lot off of Third Street. Volunteers will hand you your finisher’s medal when you cross the finish line. You will be able to cool down with hydration drinks and re-fuel with free breakfast! Then enjoy your awesome accomplishment with yummy hot chocolate, fun music, sponsor booths and giveaways. The awards ceremony will begin at 9:30am.
If you are experiencing a medical problem on the course, go to the nearest aid station and a medical representative will be called to assist you. Medic runners wearing reflective shirts will be on the course as well. A medical tent will be at the finish line. There will be 3 ambulances stationed on the northbound, southbound and at the finish line.
All entry fees are NONREFUNDABLE – NO EXCEPTIONS.
You may transfer your bib to another person for a $20 fee. To transfer, please email [email protected] or call 760-585-6631. The $20 fee must be submitted by check and mailed to 1106 2nd Street, Suite 301 – Encinitas, CA 92024. Please make check out to: Surfing Madonna Oceans Project.
**There will be no bib transfers after March 15th! – NO EXCEPTIONS
Participating with a bib number and timing chip that doesn’t belong you is not allowed. If race officials discover that this has occurred, you and the original participant will be banned from this event and future Challenger series.
We support fair competition and have a zero tolerance policy for PED’s (Performance-Enhancing Drugs). If you are currently suspended or banned from competing, you will be ineligible to win prize money. Any use, or prior use that affects your performance day of the race, of drugs, alcohol, performance-enhancing medications or methods, or having an unfair advantage will grant you immediate disqualification from this competition.