Date, Time & Location
- Sunday, March 29, 2020
- Half Marathon – 7:30am
- 5K – 7:40am
- Moonlight Beach Parking Lot – 401 C Street, Encinitas, Ca
Course Completion Time
3 Hours 30 Minutes for both the Encinitas Half
1 Hour 15 Minutes for the 5K
- Half Marathon Pacers provided by A Snail’s Pace: 1:30, 1:40, 1:50, 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45, 3:00, 3:15 & 3:30.
- 7+ miles of oceanfront running along Hwy 101
- Minimum pace of 16 minutes per mile
- Oceanfront Start/Finish Line
- Strollers, Running Chairs, & Racing Chairs are welcome
- No pets, bikes, or skates
- Ipods OK! Just keep volume low enough to hear people
- Plenty of free parking & complimentary shuttles
Half Marathon Price
$65 until April 6 $79 until May 7 $85 until July 27
- $89 until Sept 8
- $95 until Dec 8
- $105 until Feb 2
- $115 until Feb 28
- $125 until sold out
COURSE MAP & DESCRIPTION
- Click Here for map, elevation chart & description
- If you completed the Encinitas Half Marathon in 2017, 2018 and 2019, you’re considered a LEGACY RUNNER and you will receive your LEGACY RUNNER gift at the Expo and/or on Race Day! We will have a list of names of those that completed all the Encinitas Half Marathon races since 2017. You will receive your gift at the Race Shirt tent!
INCLUDED with ALL ENTRIES:
- High-Quality Men & Women’s Tech Tee
- Huge Finisher’s Medal
- Personalized Bib number
- Post Race Breakfast: Ki’s Organic Blueberry Muffin & a banana
- Finish Line Goodies: TruMoo Choco Milk, BOS Tea, Boxed Water, Health-Ade Kombucha, Harmless Harvest Coconut Water
- FREE LARGE Interactive Coffee Mug
- FREE Beer at the After Party on Hwy 101
- Coastal course with the MOST oceanfront miles of all the running races in San Diego
- Support Stations and Entertainment all along the course
- On-course nutrition stations
- On-course hydration stations
- Gear Check & Pacing Groups
- AWESOME Goody Bag
- Professionally timed by SVE Timing, Live Results, & PRIZE MONEY!
- 100% of the net proceeds will benefit local Ocean Conservation projects
FREE post-race BREAKFAST
At the finish line, you’ll be treated with an assortment of goodies!
- An organic Blueberry Muffin from Ki’s Restaurant
- TruMoo Chocolate Milk
- Fresh Bananas, Apples & Oranges from Sprouts
- Boxed Water
- Ice Cold Harmless Harvest Coconut Water
- Organic ice cold Health-Ade Kombucha
Other tasty samples will be available from Kashi, Oh Juice, and more…
EXPO – BIB PICK UP
- Location: Encinitas Community Center – 1140 Oakcrest Park Dr, Encinitas, CA 92024
- Friday, March 27 from 4:30pm to 8:30pm
- Saturday, March 28 from 10am to 6pm
- $20 fee to pick up on race morning – NO EXCEPTIONS. Cash ONLY!
- Group pick ups are permitted to a maximum of 10 participants. Person picking up must have photo or copy of all participants IDs.
The overall on-course time limit is 3 hours and 30 minutes – 16 minute mile pace. The course will have a rolling re-opening that will be strictly enforced by city and police personnel and course directional signage, mile markers, police services, portable restrooms, water stations may be removed from the course. SAG vehicles are available to transport you back to the finish line if you feel as though you cannot finish the race. You can request a SAG vehicle at a water station. You will still receive your medal if you do not finish.
100% of the net proceeds are used to benefit Surfing Madonna Oceans Projects programs, such as the Surf Camp for Kids with special needs, Swim/Surf program for disabled veterans, Floating Beach Wheelchairs, Free Ocean Conservation Summer Camp for kids grades 4-8, beach clean ups and more… Please visit: www.surfingmadonna.org for the list of programs.
Completion times will be based on chip time.
The top 5 overall male and female half marathon finishers will receive a special award along with a prize money check, which will be mailed 4-6 weeks following the event.
The top male and female finishers in each age group in the Master’s Division will receive a prize money check, which will be mailed 4-6 weeks following the event.
**Age Division Award Medals must be picked up on race day at the Awards Tent. Otherwise, you can have it mailed for $10 after the event.
Awards will be offered to the first 3 finishers, male and female, in the following age groups:
13-17, 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+
The Challenger Series is comprised of completing both the 2018 Surfing Madonna 15K on Sunday, October 7 and the 2019 Encinitas Half Marathon. By completing both events, you’ll receive a custom commemorative Challenger Series Finisher’s Medal! **Please note, you must register for the Challenger Series Division to receive the medal!** If you need to upgrade to this division, please contact [email protected]
We offer participants, who cannot attend on race day, to compete in the Virtual Division. This means you can run the half marathon at any place and any time of your choice. This division is not timed and there is no prize money awarded. Virtual Runners will receive their Finisher’s Medal and Tech Shirt in the mail. Virtual Runners will be listed on the website with their completion times (based on GPS photo). If you are a virtual runner, you are NOT eligible to run in the actual half marathon on March 31th!
We use a multi-wave start and your bib number will have your wave number on it. Everyone, regardless of his/her indicated wave number, must be at the race start line when the gun goes off at 7:30am. Speed walkers and participants with strollers must start in the back of the last wave to avoid course congestion.
There is a 3 hour and 30 minute time limit (based on chip time) for finishing this event. All participants must be able to maintain a 16-min/mile pace or faster throughout the event. There will be pacers on the course to make sure everyone completes the course at their chosen time.
Complimentary pace groups will be provided by A Snail’s Pace. Pace group leaders run a steady pace throughout the entire race, so participants are able to finish the half marathon in their desired time. Pace groups with the following target times will be offered: 1:30, 1:40, 1:50, 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45, 3:00, 3:15 & 3:30.
Yes, there will be a complimentary gear check service on race day!
Fully staffed and equipped hydration stations with water, ULTIMA REPLENISHER ELECTROLYTE DRINK and porta potties will be positioned along the course.
Here are the Water Station Locations:
- Start Line
- Mile 1
- Mile 2.5
- Mile 4 & 4.5
- Mile 6
- Mile 7.5
- Mile 8 Muir Station
- Mile 8.9
- Mile 10
- Mile 11.4
- Mile 12.6
- Finish Line
Muir Energy will be provided at Mile 8, when you’ll need it the most to finish strong! Muir Energy is cleaner, healthier and nutritionally superior to all energy gels on the market. They have accomplished this by using high quality, mineral dense, real food ingredients.
The race starts and finishes at the Moonlight Beach parking lot off of Third Street. Volunteers will hand you your finisher’s medal when you cross the finish line. You will be able to cool down with hydration drinks and re-fuel with free breakfast! Then enjoy your awesome accomplishment with yummy hot chocolate, fun music, sponsor booths and giveaways. The awards ceremony will begin at 9:30am.
If you are experiencing a medical problem on the course, go to the nearest aid station and a medical representative will be called to assist you. Medic runners wearing reflective shirts will be on the course as well. A medical tent will be at the finish line. There will be 3 ambulances stationed on the northbound, southbound and at the finish line.
All entry fees are NONREFUNDABLE – NO EXCEPTIONS.
You may transfer your bib to another person for a $20 fee. To transfer, please email [email protected] or call 760-585-6631. The $20 fee must be submitted by check and mailed to 1106 2nd Street, Suite 301 – Encinitas, CA 92024. Please make check out to: Surfing Madonna Oceans Project.
**There will be no bib transfers after March 15th! – NO EXCEPTIONS
Participating with a bib number and timing chip that doesn’t belong you is not allowed. If race officials discover that this has occurred, you and the original participant will be banned from this event and future Challenger series.
We support fair competition and have a zero tolerance policy for PED’s (Performance-Enhancing Drugs). If you are currently suspended or banned from competing, you will be ineligible to win prize money. Any use, or prior use that affects your performance day of the race, of drugs, alcohol, performance-enhancing medications or methods, or having an unfair advantage will grant you immediate disqualification from this competition.